Luffa vegetable know as Tsai-Quan(菜瓜) in Taiwan. Luffa is not only delicious, dry Luffa form Luffa sponge which is great for washing stuff (picture of dry Luffa click here). In this video tutorial we are going to use a free software---Ivy Generator, create by Thomas Luft, to simulate the rambling Luffa.
Still don't know what Luffa looks like? Try this link (Flickr)
Click HERE to the Ivy Generator download page.
In 3ds max 7
1. import wall obj file that ship with Ivy Generator, this wall is for size and rotational reference.
2. Create rack for the Luffa to ramble. Create proxy object for this rack.
3. export the proxy object as 3ds file. Import in Deep exploration and save as obj file.
In Ivy generator
Screeshot of Ivy Generator
4. Import the proxy rack object (in obj format)
5. Click on anywhere to start grow your Luffa. Hit "birth" to generate mesh for leaves and branch. Export the mesh.
Back in 3ds max 7
6. Import the mesh. Rescale or rotate if necessary. You can also making the Luffa fruits / flowers by polygonal modeling if you like to.
7. Adding other tropical plants like papaya by using Xfrog tropical library. (optional)
8. Generate ground plane with Finalrender MTD. Apply Darktree Dirt material.
Taiwan Luffa flower photo by me.
Video tutorial (Running time: 28 minutes)
Palm tree island production solutions
Modeling a bottle of laundry detergent
Kamehameha! Dragonball-like effect by using Reactor and Ragdoll Maxscript